- Check your credit report and dispute any activity you don’t recognise. To raise a dispute please click on the dispute icon next to the information you wish us to investigate on your credit report. TransUnion’s team of data dispute specialists will raise your concerns with the organisation who provided the data to us to make them aware that the data is possibly fraudulent. The organisation will then perform a fraud investigation and remove any data they’ve shared which they find evidence fraud has occurred. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can contact the organisations directly with your concerns.
- You may wish to add a password to your credit report in the form of a notice of correction; this is a 200-word statement which can be applied to your credit report for the attention of anyone performing a credit search against you. This means the next time you apply for credit the credit provider will be notified that a password is required prior to concluding the application.
This is free to do, and has absolutely no impact on your credit score. Please be mindful however that a notice of correction will mean that any applications you make will take slightly longer than usual, because your application will need to be manually processed in order to read your notice and action your request.
To add a password to your credit file please email your chosen wording to:
Or alternatively, you can write to TransUnion at:
TransUnion Information Group
One Park Lane
Please bear in mind, Notice of Correction data is not shared across the Credit Reference Agencies and so you should also request a Notice of Correction to be raised with the other credit agencies too. Please see their contact information below:
- Experian Ltd: 0344 481 0800
- Equifax: 0800 014 2955 / 0333 321 4043.
- You may wish to apply for ‘Protective Registration’, this is a cautionary Cifas marker which you can request to be added to your credit file to notify lenders and others that they should take special precautions to ensure your identity before extending credit.
Registration costs £20 and lasts for around 2 years. All applications for Protective Registration are made directly to Cifas. For more information, please see the link below: